After successfully investing as a partner in textile factories built in Henrietta Caroleen and Forest City Raleigh Rutherford Haynes turned his attention in 1899 to building an ideal town on the Second Broad River. This would be his town and would be named Cliffside. Once a thriving textile town Cliffside offered its residents not only a place to work but also provided amenities far greater than larger nearby towns. Excellent educational opportunities were provided for the children of residents from the early years of construction. Medical doctors and a dentist provided health services. Churches of the Baptist Methodist and Presbyterian faiths provided for the spiritual welfare of residents. Quality businesses opened in the downtown area. A library movie theater skating rink and bowling alley were some of the recreational activities provided. A workforce was attracted possessing the strong qualities of character exemplified by the founder.