Save Your Favorite Listings, Events, and Offers Here
Continuing north on Main St (US 221-A) you will Cliffside School on the west side of the road. Cliffside Public School was the crowning achievement in the educational progress of the town. The need for educational opportunities was realized from the beginning of the building of the mill and village of Cliffside. In 1903 a room for a school was provided in a warehouse of the mill. This space was quickly outgrown. A large wooden store building was built with the upstairs floor converted into school rooms.In 1909 a wooden school building was constructed on N. Main Street. Plans were made under the leadership of Superintendent Clyde A. Erwin to build a modern brick school building. Construction began in 1920 on a three story structure. The Cliffside School building an excellent example of Classic Revival architecture was designed by Charlotte architect Louis H. Asbury. It was fashioned of two million red brick and trimmed with Indiana limestone. The main visual element of the building is its monumental portico that displays four hand-chiseled ionic Capitols atop 26 ft.columns.The school would house grammar and high school grades. Academic and Vocational courses would be offered to high school students-the curriculum of today's comprehensive high school. At the dedication in 1922 this building was recognized as one of the most modern and finest educational facilities in the western part of North Carolina. Dedication comments by Charles H. Haynes included this statement: "The building as it stands represents an expenditure of a quarter of a million dollars and every dollar of the cost of the building was borne outright by the company ... It is distinctly a gift and as a gift is representative of the fine spirit of consideration which Cliffside Mills has for its employees." The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. In 1960 the high school was consolidated with other community schools to form Chase High School. Today the school has approximately 450 students in grades K-5.